As I was browsing through numerous infographics, I noticed that not all infographics cited their sources; many have overlooked this crucial step. I could not help but be prejudiced against the uncited infographics. How am I to know if the given data is reliable? Furthermore, not citing sources could also bring about plagiarism issues in a visual format in infographics. Therefore, infographics should cite their sources in order to be a credible source.
However, my principle raises the following question: What is the proper way to cite sources on an infographic? Is there an established citation format for infographics?
MC
Example of a visually appealing and informative, but not cited infographic:
Source: http://www.social-ink.net/wp-content/uploads/258476563.jpg
Minae,
ReplyDeleteThat is a terrific point! It is definitely something that I have questioned, but never in a formal manner. I typically wonder where infographics get their information; I find myself to be naturally questioning of individual or group motives and agendas. Citing such data would be tremendously helpful to the consumer of information. I wonder if it became more mandatory (or enforced), whether we would see a drop in the use of infographics in many periodicals or books that are considered less credible that those under rigorous academic scrutiny (GQ v. Performance Improvement Journal). Much to my chagrin (and probably to Dr. Leftwich's delight), Purdue has a great resource for looking into APA questions like this:
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/20/.
APA sections 5.20 through 5.25 have some good guidance (especially section 5.22) on figures and the such, calling for using "Adapted from" as standard terminology. Unfortunately, many purveyors of infographics fall well outside of the realm of academics and adherence to APA, MLA, etc. I also fear that most readers are not discerning enough to question where the information comes from, or why it is displayed in the given way- rather blindly accept the information as presented.
Thanks for the insightful and thought-provoking post!
-Bryan